“The material is partially stuff we have performed in Oxford before, and partially un-vetted material incognita. Scary.”
WHO: Barney Rowe – Producer, Writer
WHAT: “We always strive for those eureka moments, the top 1% of ideas, but what about the other 99%? Rubbish right? Wrong. Not Quite Write prides itself on the 99%. All that glistens isn’t gold, but it’s sure worth trying to make a cheap joke out of. Join Oxford student comics Low Hanging Fruit as they take a deconstructed look at the sketch writing process, imagining a fictional writers’ office which throws quality control out the window and stages the lot: the good, the bad, and the not quite right.”
WHERE: theSpace @ Jury’s Inn (Venue 260)
WHEN: 20:40 (55 min)
MORE: Click Here!
Is this your first time to Edinburgh?
Yes, this is our first show in Edinburgh. Apparently some of us had been here as toddlers but we don’t remember that.
Tell us about your show.
Not Quite Write in part aimed to capture how we ourselves write sketches. Since the entire cast create and develop the material, often as a group, there are many frustrations. Certain sketches go down a storm, others go down like a cup of cold sick. By setting Not Quite Write in a TV writer’s office we were able to both perform traditional sketch comedy, as well as capturing some of the process we undertake to create them in the first place.
All members of Low Hanging Fruit, (“us” and “we”; Barney Rowe, Jordan Reed, Sybil Devlin, and Tommy Jolowicz), have written this show in part. We are, regrettably, all recent graduates from Oxford University. The material is partially stuff we have performed in Oxford before, and partially un-vetted material incognita. Scary.
Our producers are the heroic Jordan Reed and Barney Rowe, whose names you may recognise from around 30 seconds ago. They both have eight arms and two brains and one patience shared between them.
We may hope to take Not Quite Write, or some of its material to a small theatre/venue somewhere in Didcot after Edinburgh! Just kidding, London.
What should your audience see at the festivals after they’ve seen your show?
We saw The Starship Osiris by Willis & Vere a few days ago and it was incredible. A remarkably ambiguous show that was never clearly on- or off-script, in both an unsettling and hilarious way. Highly recommended for fans of sci-fi, fourth wall breaking, and for the downtrodden cast members in any theatre group.
We also loved Joie de Vivre by Vets Kill Comedy. Jamming more material into an hour than any show we’ve seen at the Fringe so far, it was completely unique. Part musical, part character comedy, but never safe, and never conventional. It shone like a light amongst average stand-up and paint by numbers Revues.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ? FOLLOW US ON TWITTER! FIND US ON FACEBOOK! OR SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST!
INTERESTED IN BEING INTERVIEWED TOO? CLICK HERE!
You must be logged in to post a comment.